Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 11:31:31
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> Finally you've really got to get over this silly pointless paranoia that
GAW> makes you think you absolutely must keep package stuff in some separate
GAW> stand-alone hierarchy.  There is simply no logical foundation for such a
GAW> fear when you're using a package management system which knows where
GAW> each file came from and where it belongs.  Yes, I know the system files
GAW> don't get registered, yet, but that's a lot less of a problem than you
GAW> might think given that as far as I can see the pkgsrc developers are all
GAW> quite consious of this and take care to avoid obvious problems.

Can you say "RPM"?  I knew you could.

Keeping pkg stuff separate from system stuff is NOT IRRATIONAL.  It makes
it a HELL of a lot easier to look at a system with eyeballs than with
special-purpose tools, the state of which may or may not be broken on any
given day.

For what it's worth, I think the system files SHOULD get registered,
though - either let's do it all the way or let's forget it.

GAW> Also, think _hard_ about the issues of sharing $PREFIX over NFS with a
GAW> bunch of clients, not all of which will have the same scripts in
GAW> /etc/rc.d.  They really are, at least for now, local configuration items
GAW> which must be kept unique for every host.

_That_, now, is a valid point!

GAW> > We might as well install pkgs into /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin/.
GAW>
GAW> Indeed!  (and I do on my production machines, but that's a separate
GAW> matter)

Greg, this is a matter of you having your opinion and other people wanting
to do it differently than you do.  It's an oft-recurring theme.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Are you old enough to run it?