Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 12:13:17
[ On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 12:35:57 (-0500), Chuck Yerkes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> Quoting Greg A. Woods (woods@weird.com):
> > [ On Sunday, March 16, 2003 at 14:38:35 (-0500), Michael G. Schabert wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
> > > 1) anything in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ should be copied to /etc/rc.d/
> >
> > And that's it in a nutshell...  ;-)
>
> Oh good.  There's nothing I want less than to mix system-shipped
> stuff indiscrimately with package and local startup scripts.

I fail to see why you would equate configuring a daemon installed as
part of a package with mixing system-shipped stuff with add-ons.

First off it's not "indiscriminate".  /etc/rc.d is treated as a local
configuration directory in NetBSD (whether that's wise or not is a
separate matter).  This means you're _supposed_ to put local changes in
there.

Secondly package RCD_SCRIPTS are not "installed" in /etc/rc.d -- they're
installed in $PREFIX.  It's the sys-admin's job to copy them into
/etc/rc.d as part of the local configuration and setup procedures.

Finally you've really got to get over this silly pointless paranoia that
makes you think you absolutely must keep package stuff in some separate
stand-alone hierarchy.  There is simply no logical foundation for such a
fear when you're using a package management system which knows where
each file came from and where it belongs.  Yes, I know the system files
don't get registered, yet, but that's a lot less of a problem than you
might think given that as far as I can see the pkgsrc developers are all
quite consious of this and take care to avoid obvious problems.

Also, think _hard_ about the issues of sharing $PREFIX over NFS with a
bunch of clients, not all of which will have the same scripts in
/etc/rc.d.  They really are, at least for now, local configuration items
which must be kept unique for every host.

> We might as well install pkgs into /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin/.

Indeed!  (and I do on my production machines, but that's a separate
matter)

> The "right answer" might simply be to have /etc/rc.local.d/ (or
> whatever name you like) and change the rcorder call to  include
> that as well:

No, it's not that simple.  Been there, tried that, gave up.  It's just
not worth even trying.

--
								Greg A. Woods