Subject: Re: mozilla on alpha
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 12:57:02
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:07:55AM -0500, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> You need to run "make install" in www/mozilla in such a way that
> moz-install doesn't run install with the -s flag. I believe "make
> DEBUG_FLAGS=1 install" will do it (see the DEBUG_FLAGS and
> _STRIPFLAG_INSTALL uses in pkgsrc/mk/defs.NetBSD.mk).

I did that but no go:

(gdb) attach 6871
Attaching to process 6871
0x160a50e38 in ?? ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.

   (Mozilla loads and loads and loads and finally the main window appears and)

warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x160a50e5c
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post' command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.
0x160a50e5c in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x160a50e5c in ?? ()
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x1609ff640

bash-2.05b$ file mozilla-bin
mozilla-bin: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 1.6P, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
bash-2.05b$

Apparently I'm missing something here..

(Heh:
bash-2.05b$ pkg_info -s mozilla
Information for mozilla-1.2.1nb7:

Size of this package in bytes: 556840971)

> I've seen about the same grade of problems you're reporting here, and
> I haven't made a lot of headway in figuring out what's wrong. Most
> annoyingly, my debug build crashes just as often but seems to just
> quit rather than dumping core more frequently than the non-debug
> build.

Yeah, the same here. Everything else that I've tried "just works" but
mozilla is a pain in the *** with current. mplayer, scilab, octave,
abiword (with a visible cursor!) etcetc. just work. The only "big" problems
for me are mozilla, kde3 and gnome.

2.0 is going to be good :-)
--
jht