Subject: Re: What is changing the owner of /var/spool/mqueue?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2003 01:15:06
In message <20030317124835.A17099@noc.untraceable.net>, you write:

-> >> >My sendmail keeps complaining, and I keep switching it back.
-> >>
-> >> how exactly is it complaining?
-> >
-> >I get lots of the following error (every 30 minutes when sendmail tries
-> >to flush the queue, I bet):
-> >
-> >Mar 17 09:21:41 allison sendmail[177]: h2HHLfd00177: SYSERR(root): collect:
->  Cannot write ./dfh2HHLfd00177 (bfc ommit, uid=0): Permission denied
->
-> do you have a lot of stuff in your queue?
->
-> try making sure that the directory /var/spool/mqueue and all the files
-> under it are owned by root.  then try sendmail -q -v and see if it
-> complains.

I've seen this when doing a 'build.sh install=/' as well; restarting the
sendmail daemon seemed to make everything happy again, but I was a bit
perturbed by the messages and did wonder if it ate any email.  I had a
bunch of other stuff going on at the same time, though, so I never did
investigate why it happened or if indeed mail did get lost.

I do believe I have a custom sendmail.cf on that box, but it's just a
stripped-down "send all mail to a smartmailer" configuration (though
it is possible it simply hadn't been updated to the right version of
.cf-dom, but I wouldn't think a restart would fix it 8-)

My guess would be that mtree sets some directory to a mode sendmail
does not like when it runs from the install phase of a build.sh, but
I'm not sure what resets it so that it works after a restart...

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill