Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 12:26:41
[ On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 08:19:00 (-0500), Michael G. Schabert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> >  > 1) anything in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ should be copied to /etc/rc.d/
> >
> >And that's it in a nutshell...  ;-)
>
> If there was full consensus that this was "best current practices"
> then this thread wouldn't exist :P.

Indeed the way things work less than ideal, and that's why you and I and
others have suggested a few minor adjustments to help eliminate some of
the confusion.

I really do like the idea of appending the messages from the "generic"
INSTALL script (i.e. the one which handles RCD_SCRIPTS and other
configuration file defaults) onto the /var/db/pkg/+MESSAGES file so that
they're available at all times (pkg_info -D).  If that's not done by the
next time I get around to bringing my pkgsrc tree up to current then
maybe I'll even implement it myself (and send-pr the changes, of course!).

(I'm not so keen on e-mailing those messages to anyone though....)

--
								Greg A. Woods