Subject: Re: flist inconsistencies found...
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2003 18:08:26
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:44:57PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
  | > I had a similar problem (related to /var/games/atc_scores) with
  | > building release as of -D "2003-03-16 00:00:00 UTC". I resolved it
  | > by removing DESTDIR entirely and trying build.sh -u again.
  |
  | Is doing ``make release'' overwriting previously created DESTDIR
  | supposed to work?  If not okay, it'd be nice if build.sh or something
  | else issues a warning about it.

Yes, it is OK to build over a previously created DESTDIR; I do this
all the time, because I always build with UPDATE set.

You may encounter issues where there are now-obsolete files in $DESTDIR.
If you're running -current, you can fix this after a "make build" with
something like:
	cd /usr/src
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` -d $DESTDIR check obsolete
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` -d $DESTDIR fix obsolete

This requires /var/db/obsolete to be up to date, which "make build"
(or any target which calls "build" such as "distribution", "release",
"snapshot", ...) does with its "do-obsolete" dependency.

Luke.