Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2003 13:14:49
[ On Saturday, March 15, 2003 at 17:56:57 (-0500), Michael G. Schabert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> One thing that seems inconsistent WRT this thread is that the stock
> NetBSD distribution contains /etc/rc.local with:
>
> # Add your local daemons here.
> #
>
> #if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache ]; then
> #       /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache start
> #fi
>

> This would seem to imply to me that it is kosher to use
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* for installed packages.

You are confusing historical practices and ancient backwards
compatability features with "best current practices".

I would suggest that you completely and totally ignore /etc/rc.local and
whatever misleading contents it may have.

I would also suggest that you ignore some of the inconsistencies present
in pkgsrc, especially those where packages with RC scripts have not been
updated to use the new RCD_SCRIPTS feature and/or those which do not
have modern RC scripts compatible with the new style in the base system.
I think it's too much to expect that a very large and highly evolving
system being built largely by volunteers will always be in a state of
total self-consistency.

--
								Greg A. Woods