Subject: JFS for NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2003 12:50:13
I've watched LFS go from being entirely risked (like bungee
jumping from the rope bridges of indiana jones movies) to
just kinda unstable from 1996 to now.  Which is cool.

I've also watch UFS get softupdates, UFS2 come with large
disk support and snapshots (fsck in background while using
the fs) on FreeBSD.  Linux got XFS from Irix and JFS from OS/2
and AIX.

JFS seems to be appearing in FreeBSD-bleeding edge.  Wondering
if NetBSD folks are watching this and, since FreeBSD is now
actually multiplatform (and 64 bit), wondering if the code
is useful.  I'm certainly happy to let FreeBSD go through the
tooth cutting phase on it, but it would be kinda neat to
ensure that it's not locked into FreeBSD code from the start
(eg. use general interfaces and #ifdef the freebsd-unique
chunks for later portability).

Are any of you file system mongers keeping an eye on this?