Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/2003 17:56:57
One thing that seems inconsistent WRT this thread is that the stock
NetBSD distribution contains /etc/rc.local with:

# Add your local daemons here.
#

#if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache ]; then
#       /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache start
#fi

This would seem to imply to me that it is kosher to use
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* for installed packages. Within the last few
months I noticed that rc's default behavior has changed such that if
you only uncomment the above lines and don't bother to put apache=YES
into the rc.conf file, it will tell you:

/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache: WARNING: $apache is not set properly - see
rc.conf(5).

until you put in the apache=YES. This also seems to imply that rc
"knows" about /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d and "expects" to control the stuff in
there as well.

Just another thought,
Mike
--