Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2003 15:21:29
[ On Friday, March 14, 2003 at 14:54:44 (-0500), gabriel rosenkoetter wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:57:30PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Thursday, March 13, 2003 at 23:23:57 (-0500), Michael G. Schabert wrote: ]
> > > Oh, really??
> > >
> > > alpha# more MESSAGE
> > Yes, REALLY!  :-)
> >
> > The "MESSAGE" file is not the only instructional text displayed when
> > such a package is installed.
>
> You're ignoring the real question there, Greg.

No, I don't think so!  ;-)

I've addressed the entire topic completely, including with suggested
changes to help eliminate confusion and clarify procedures and displayed
instructions.

> You said, "the install process tells you to copy things from
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d".

And indeed it does, just as you show below.

> Michael gave an example (pkgsrc/net/netatalk) that doesn't seem to.

No, he didn't.  He showed the contents of the MESSAGE file for a
package, not a cut&paste of the install of that package.

Had he looked at what's displayed during an actual install he would have
seen the same instructions you show below.

> It only takes him one example to prove you wrong.

No, it takes one _correct_ and _complete_ example to prove something's
wrong.  A bogus non-example means nothing (but maybe F.U.D.).

> When during a netatalk install are we told how to configure its rc
> files?

Right HERE (in the output from the INSTALL script):

> The following files should be created for netatalk-1.6.1:
>
>         /etc/rc.d/atalkd (m=0755)
>         /etc/rc.d/afpd (m=0755)
>         /etc/rc.d/papd (m=0755)
>         /etc/rc.d/timelord (m=0755)

> So we know that those files "should be created". What should be in
> them? No clue. Where can we find examples? We're not told.

No clue for the clueless!  ;-)  [sorry, but I had to!  :-)]

If you look back at one of my earlier posts you'll find it includes
diffs to the script which generates the output you show above.  If you
examine those particular diffs you'll find they clear up the wording of
that output and make it much more obvious what should be done.

If you remember I also have suggested several times, not just in this
thread but in others as well, that the example RCD_SCRIPTS should be
installed in $PREFIX/share/examples/rc.d, and several other people have
concurred with this suggestion.  Fixing this one "bug" will undoutably
eliminate 99.999% of _all_ confusion on this issue.

If you check the whole thread you'll also find someone else has
suggested that if you add "PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES" to your /etc/mk.conf
then the examples will be installed in /etc/rc.d and the output of the
INSTALL script shown above will change to reflect this happening.
You'll note I've done the same in my suggested diffs too.

--
								Greg A. Woods