Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2003 21:19:02
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:54:44 -0500
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

> The point is that the easy use of pkgsrc for many packages providing
> daemons presumes that /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d will be trawled, so we
> really ought to make using it a bit less unobvious.

No. You are *not* intended to chain ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d at boot time.
You must copy the scripts you need to /etc/pkg, which can be *automatically*
done by setting PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES in mk.conf.

This seems to be causing lots of confusion... as I posted to tech-pkg (where
nobody except Greg replied), we should install boot scripts by default
anywhere else (say, ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d). This way, it's clear
that they need to be placed under /etc/rc.d, as they appear as examples.
Fixing this in pkgsrc should be quite easy. Can anybody point out any
"disadvantadge" of this?

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>