Subject: Re: /sbin/umount should support umount_* (PR#698)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2003 15:14:58
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:10:38 -0800 (PST), Bill Studenmund writes:
>That I got. But he wanted unmount to send the signal. I think the kernel
>(specifically the fs code in the kernel) to send it.

I have no problem with that - my only real issue is that umount(8)
should stop thinking it "knows" how to deal with something that
appears to be an NFS mount.  It could simply spot the fact that a PID
was provided at mount time and take that as a clue that it should do
nothing more that the unmount syscall - then as you say, the fs can
ask the helper process to "get thee hence".

Thanks
--sjg