Subject: Re: /sbin/umount should support umount_* (PR#698)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2003 09:10:38
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Greywolf wrote:

> Thus spake Bill Studenmund ("BS> ") sometime Yesterday...
>

> BS> When you unmount the file system, the fs code should send a signal to the
> BS> helper process to tell it, "I'm shutting down."
>
> I believe what sjg meant with regard to KILL was "send a signal to".

That I got. But he wanted unmount to send the signal. I think the kernel
(specifically the fs code in the kernel) to send it.

I'm envisioning the fs and the helper keeping a control socket open during
the lifetime of the mount, if for no other reason than to receive this
signal. Note also that the "signal" would be a socket write, not a SIG.

The big difference is that the kernel can notice the helper going away, so
1) you won't get the signal sent to the wrong process, and 2) the file
system itself can react to the helper disapearing.

Take care,

Bill