Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2003 00:13:15
[ On Saturday, March 8, 2003 at 22:55:04 (-0600), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*
>
> Argh.
>
> I'm gonna give a try to running rcorder on /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d at the end
> of rc.d/local, on the grounds that that's one of the last things run.
> That might make a good default?

Nope.  The "right" thing to do is to treat the files that are in
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d as if they were actually in /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d
(which they are on my systems :-), and simply copy them into /etc/rc.d
(as desired), and then enable and tune them the "normal" way with
appropriate settings added in /etc/rc.conf.

This should be part of the normal process of configuring any package you
install.

There are some magic hooks that can be coerced into doing some of this
for you, just like other default configuration files are copied into
place from the examples directory....

(hopefully you don't expect add-on things which have start-up scripts to
just magically work without some local configuration!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods