Subject: Re: headless i386 not booting
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Staffan Thomen <duck@multi.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2003 18:56:30
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:33:14 +0100 Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:02:43AM +0200, Staffan Thom=E9n wrote:
> > [ Original text by Julio Merino indented ]
> > > On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:33:18 -0800
> > > Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com> wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Wrong. My server does not have a video card in. You have to:
> > [...]
> > > 2) Disable all console devices from kernel (wsdisplay, pccons,
> > > etc). If you
> > >    leave some of them in, it will crash... this sounds like a bug.
> >=20
> >  Right, I thought of this, but it didn't work, perhaps I missed
> >  some console device.  Will look more into it tonight.
>=20
> I think you can't have it working without a console device.
> One solution is to configure it to use a serial console (install
> serial boot blocks). It will work even if nothing is connected to the
> serial port.

 Ah, I see. Alltough i went ahead and dished out the 5 bucks for a
 used adapter anyway... :-)

 Atleast this will be in the archives now if anyone else has this
 kind of a problem. Thanks for the good suggestions and answers.

 Staffan

--=20
Staffan Thom=E9n
     GPG key: 1024D/7C7E2EF8
 Fingerprint: ADB3 455F 10D5 86D1 78D6  048D 11BB D66E 7C7E 2EF8