Subject: Re: Dynamic libpthread?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2003 00:50:45
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:34:57AM -0800, David Hopper wrote:
>
>>in my /usr/lib, then I can expect everything to just work for binaries
>>linked at compile time against libpthread.so.0.1, while newly compiled code
>>hits 0.2.
>
> Actually the old compiled code will pickup 0.2 too. It would not pick up
> 1.0 (different major version number).
>
> So everything is just as you want it ;-)

Oh, right on-- so I actually don't need to recompile every non-functioning
threaded package in userland *unless* there is a major version change.  I did
not know that (and this makes life much, much easier).

So, in essence, if I get a core in e.g. evolution after upgrading libpthread--
but without recompiling evolution or its dependencies, I can expect it to have
already picked up the latest minor version.  Sweet.

> What not works is that your app pretends to be not threaded at link time
> and later decides "oh, might as well use libpthread now". But I'd call
> that app broken. Of course it could say "I might be threaded", link against
> libpthread and not start any threads most of the time - that would work fine.
>
> Martin

Thanks much,
Dave