Subject: Re: Dynamic libpthread?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2003 00:34:57
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:38:12PM -0800, David Hopper wrote:
>
>>I believe I read Nathan mention how this was a rarity (only in AIX,
>>right?)-- but are there any plans to make the new libpthread
>>dynamic-capable?
>
 > [...]
> The point is, that you are not expected to use dlopen() at some time and load
> /usr/lib/libpthread.so, because of the interactions libpthread has with libc.
>
> If you link dynamically against libc and libpthread at link time, the
> magic in libc handles that and everything just works.

Ah, I see.  I was confusing 'dynamic' with 'runtime' linking.  So if I have:

/usr/lib/libpthread.a
/usr/lib/libpthread.so@-->libpthread.so.0.2
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0@-->libpthread.so.0.2
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0.1
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0.2

in my /usr/lib, then I can expect everything to just work for binaries linked
at compile time against libpthread.so.0.1, while newly compiled code hits 0.2.
  I guess my point is, it would be lovely to have my userland hit the latest
libpthread at runtime (though it's clear by now I'm sure that I never got past
Pascal in college...  ;^)

> Martin

Dave