Subject: Re: Dynamic libpthread?
To: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2003 09:08:39
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:38:12PM -0800, David Hopper wrote:
> I believe I read Nathan mention how this was a rarity (only in AIX,
> right?)-- but are there any plans to make the new libpthread
> dynamic-capable?

I think you misunderstood Nathan. On my system I have:

/usr/lib/libpthread.a                   /usr/lib/libpthread_dbg.so.0@
/usr/lib/libpthread.so@                 /usr/lib/libpthread_dbg.so.0.0
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0@               /usr/lib/libpthread_dbg_p.a
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0.1              /usr/lib/libpthread_dbg_pic.a
/usr/lib/libpthread_dbg.a               /usr/lib/libpthread_p.a
/usr/lib/libpthread_dbg.so@             /usr/lib/libpthread_pic.a

The point is, that you are not expected to use dlopen() at some time and load
/usr/lib/libpthread.so, because of the interactions libpthread has with libc.

If you link dynamically against libc and libpthread at link time, the
magic in libc handles that and everything just works.

Martin