Subject: Re: /sbin/umount should support umount_* (PR#698)
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/26/2003 10:45:09
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:06:11 -0500, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" writes:
>Yep.  That's why I am trying to get wider discussion.

Understood - and appreciated.

>> the /sbin/mound_<type> support it is trivial to get these
>> things mounted.  Getting them unmounted isn't so easy.
>
>Wouldn't there be a mount_snfs process running?  Why not just have umount send
>
>that process a signal that it can use to do its own cleaning up?  It
>certainly has all the information that it needs.

Yep, that's exactly how it works - umount_snfs just kill's the
mount_snfs process that does all the real work.

On netbsd though, umount has no way of detecting that its an snfs
mount rather than a vanila NFS mount, since not enough info is stored
in the kernel.  And since umount "knows" NFS it just tries to send an
RPC to the server - which fails.

The workaround for netbsd was to run umount_snfs directly.

Thanks
--sjg