Subject: Re: Lockup with -current via SSH
To: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 20:44:22
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Ken Seefried wrote:

> Adam K Kirchhoff writes:
> >
> > 	In my experience, -cuurent does not play well with SMP and
> > threads.  Any threaded application will lock up my machine solid.
> >

> With all due respect, that's not an answer.

With all due respect, that was an answer...  You asked if anyone had "Any
clues?" so I relayed my experience which, quite frankly, is a pretty big
clue that perhaps SMP and threads in -current don't work.  You may not
like that answer, but it's certainly a legitimate one :-)

> Either we are interested in identifying and fixing SMP bugs, or we are
> not interested in SMP.

What makes you think they (the developers) aren't interested in
identifying and fixing SMP bugs?  I am one user, relaying my experiences.
I am not a developer.

However, a bit of research would have shown that this is a known issue and
it being worked on.

> I'm reporting a problem, am interested in providing any additional
> information I can, and looking for additional guidance as to how to
> tackle debugging this further.

Then I'd suggest waiting for an answer from a developer to see if they
want any debugging info from you.  My guess is, though, that it's simply a
matter of waiting for the bugs to be ironed out.

Remember, this is -current we're talking about.  Given the state of flux
it's frequently in, you migh want to consider yourself lucky that it
compiled, much less booted :-)

Adam