Subject: RE: build.sh feature request
To: Sporleder, Matthew (CCI-Atlanta) <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2003 09:17:25
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Sporleder, Matthew (CCI-Atlanta) wrote:

> The only problem with that is that you have to reinstall the entire
> system package. I know it really isn't huge, but it's definitely larger
> than just being able to update a few programs.  On a very distributed
> system, small updates could really be a lifesaver.

For over a year, I have been making security updates and have provided
around 20 (for my customers).

I only provide the files that have been changed (or new files). So I don't
provide all files related to the updated software -- since they are
already installed. Of course, sometimes, the fix can be big since it may
include libc and several static /bin executables, for example. (Since,
/bin and /sbin will be dynamic for official release, this won't matter
later.)

I partially based my NetBSD updates on the BSD/OS mods system which has
worked for me for several years. It is useful because it backs up changes
and reverse the changes. More info about BSD/OS mods at
 http://www.bsdtoday.com/2001/February/Features422.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/