Subject: Re: Encrypted filesystem on NetBSD
To: Bryan P <u6@terran.org>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2003 16:27:24
Bryan P wrote:

>That's really cool, I'll try it tonight.  I'm assuming that I should be
>able to create a file to use loopback encrypted by first creating a file of
>the size I want, vnconfig'ing it but not mounting it, then cgdconfig'ing
>the vnd node, then making a filesystem on it and mounting it.

Yes that's how I did my initial testing.  Just be careful about
where the disklabels end up because it is quite easy to put them
on top of each other.  My general recommendation is if you are
using a single partition in your vnd to use RAW_PART so that the
vnd's disklabel is ignored.  If you do decide to use vnd0a, then
make sure that the `a' partition is offset about a cyl from the
beginning of the disk so that cgd's disklabel ends up in a different
place.  (You have the same concerns with ccd(4) and raid(4)).

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/