Subject: Re: Moving from pmax to another platform?
To: Yoseff Francus <francus@yossi.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2003 10:00:05
Yoseff Francus wrote:

> My main machine is a decstation running netbsd 16. with 2 internal disks
> and 4 external disks (scsi). If I moved to a differen platform (sun or
> intel) would the data disks be movable to the new platform easily or
> would it require a dump, newfs, restore?

If you change to a big-endian platform you'll need to make sure you
have the FFS_EI option enabled.  In this case, your filesystem will be
slightly slower than a newfs'd one since the kernel is doing a little
extra work.

You may have to save the output of "disklabel sdN" for each disk and
manually re-create the disklabel on each disk - I had to do this when
moving disks from an alpha to a i386.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/