Subject: Re: test_popen failed. Compiling Python 2.1.3
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/2003 21:55:30
On 11 Feb 2003 15:10:00 -0600, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> MLH@goathill.org said:
>> 1) most of the zope packages that do not require one to compile shared
>> libraries don't need a particular version of Zope wither than '2'. Is
>> there really a need to prefix those packages with zope2x- ?  How about
>> just zope2- ?
>
> This looks like a good idea.
> Well, I didn't know much about the Zope roadmap and compatibility
> issues when I imported the zope25 pkg.

I'm still trying to figure out the pkgsrc roadmap/compatibility
issues. :^)

> As it looks now, the Zope-2 line of releases promises to be quite
> upwards-compatible.
> So using the "zope2" prefix universally, and also installing into a
> "zope2" subdirectory looks like the way to go.

I suspect zope2 will be the zope-of-choice for about the next two
years at least. zope3 may be production within a year, but it'll
take quite a while for 3rd party products to catch up and provide
a useful platform for new projects. Older ones might not move to
zope3 with the tremendous difference in architecture.

> One problem I'd like to solve in a clean way before importing zope2-2.6.1:
> migration from GNU pth to native threads (on -current). All the pkgs using
> mk/pthread.mk suffer from breakage if libraries using pth are still around
> but the new pkg gets compiled against libpthread.
> As long as there is a number of serious issues with Python and native threads,
> we need pth, so we can't switch immidiately.
> We have to make sure that any extension for a pth-Python still gets compiled
> against pkg-pth, even if native libpthread is present.
> This is still an open issue.

I have one experimental MP i386 box that I can play with, but I
was waiting for the smoke to clear to a mere fog with 1.6-current
before I jumped in and tried with native pthreads. If you need a
guinea pig with the new stuff (when you think its ready), let me
know.  I'll be glad to try to help. I've been waiting for quite a
while for NetBSD to get to this point. I have a bunch of zope
servers that I want to move to NetBSD from Solaris as soon as it
looks stable with native pthreads (SP/MP i386 boxes). So I most
certainly appreciate your efforts to support threads with Python
and Zope. With my new AMD boxes running 30k pystones vs Solaris at
about 6k, and zope being highly cpu-bound...

>> What to call the pkgsrc pkg?
>> zope2-OCSybaseDA ?
>
> The "DA" suffix seems usual... OK!

Ok.  Thanks!