Subject: Re: Build fails with ro source tree
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/2003 15:31:20
Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:18:07PM +0200, Arto Huusko wrote:
>   | Build appears to fail (very recent source, a few hours ago), if the
>   | source tree is read only.
>   | The problem is texinfo in dependall phase. I'm not sure what it
>   | actually is doing, but it fails while trying to touch the file
>   | "gnu/dist/texinfo/config.in".
>
> Which texinfo?  tools/texinfo, or gnu/usr.bin/texinfo?

I'm not 100% sure (the logs are gone), but I presume and recall it to
be tools/texinfo.

At least nothing was built before it; isn't it so that tools are built
before doing dependall and friends for the rest of the tree?

> What were the few lines of error messages around the problem?

From what I remember, it was doing some configure magic, and configure
failed because of missing "autoheader" or something like that. After
that, it proceeded to touch the config.in file.

> (There have been issues with some of the "dist" GNU Makefile's,
> cvs checkout timestamps, etc.  I've been going through the tree and

I guessed that it was something like this, and indeed touching the
config.in's timestamp fixed everything, and distribution build finished
succesfully.