Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2003 15:45:11
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
>> Unless NetBSD has changed from its heritage, the kernel disk cache
>> buffers are 8K, and so an 8K NFS read or write would never cross a
>> cache buffer boundary.  But 32K would.

> I don't know what "heritage" you're referring to, but it has never been
> the case that NetBSD's buffer cache has used fixed-size 8K disk buffers,
> and I don't believe that it was ever the case for any Net2 or 4.4-derived
> system.

Could be.  By "heritage" I meant BSD-without-any-adjective.  It is
perfectly clear from Leffler, McKusick et al. (_The Design and
Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System_) that back then,
8K was the standard filesystem block size.

However, I was just guessing that that might have anything to do with
the problem.  It does seem clear now that we are looking at a kernel
or network bug, though.

			regards, tom lane