Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: mlw <pgsql@mohawksoft.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2003 15:24:15
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, mlw wrote:

> . There are always issues with file locking across various
> platforms. I recall reading about mmap issues across NFS a while ago...

Postgres uses neither of these, IIRC, so that should be fine. (Actually,
postgres does effectively use mmap for shared memory on NetBSD, but
that's not mapping data on the NFS filesystem, so it's not an issue.)

> The NFS client may also have isses with locking, fsync, and mmap.

Any fsync problems would affect data integrity during a crash, but
nothing otherwise.

(Of course, I'm happy to be corrected on any of these issues, if someone
can point out particular parts of postgres that would fail over NFS.)

cjs