Subject: Re: comparing raid-like filesystems
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2003 14:26:43
On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 09:23  am, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> One of the things on my tuit queue is to port Vinum to NetBSD
>
> I don't think anyone is really interested in Vinum on NetBSD
> (obviously, I might be wrong ;)
> RF has proven very reliable and fast enough, and I don't think
> it's particularily useful to introduce different heavy-weight
> software RAID implementation, with Vinum-unique set of issues.

Jason says Vinum is 43,000 lines of code. According to Greg,
Vinum is 12,000 lines of code, and that's not just RAID.
Wouldn't you like growfs etc. in NetBSD? I would.

> I'm very happy RF user. Obviously I'm not going to switch
> to anything else unless it's clearly superiour. Which Vinum
> is not, AFAIK.

It seems like it's clearly superior from a maintenance point
of view, even if it may not make much difference to users.
There's also the extra bonus that the FreeBSD people are using
the same code, which means it'll get more testing.

//joelw