Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: None <darcy@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2003 11:15:17
D'Arcy J.M. Cain said:

>Interesting.  I would sure like some other opinions on that.  The reason for
>going with the NetApp is to use their snapmirror feature in order to copy a
>live database at an instant in time.  Using something like rsync fails
>sometimes because the database could change enough during the sync that it
>can't recover enough to start.

Back in the mid-nineties, when I worked for Progress Software, their
software would refuse to open a database that was mounted with NFS.
The main reason was that Progress felt that they couldn't guarantee
the integrity of the data. As far as I know, Oracle, Informix, and
Sybase had similar restrictions at that time.

Has NFS changed so drastically that it no longer has data integrity
problems?

I've used NetApp filers for lots of different jobs, but never for
databases.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com