Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2003 16:20:40
Yeah, I have enough fears running Databases on non-raw devices,
let alone over a network - everything I want a databse for
is compromised by having the data files on a network device.
Speed (100base T gets you maybe 10MB/s throughput with nothing
else there), NFS adds overhead, buffering (non device commits),
locking issues and so forth.

I'd be looking a local disk with a periodic backup via dump
to NFS device or similar.

I know that we couldn't MMAP sleepycat DB files via NFS,
even though we loved the products.  A NetApp guy argued it
with me until I finally found the OTHER NetApp guy to
edumucate him on that.

I love NetApps.  But not for databases.

Quoting Greg Copeland (greg@CopelandConsulting.Net):