Subject: Re: -current build failure in rescue tools.
To: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2003 21:01:43
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:
> I could very well be out to lunch. But rsync to -current, then cvs co
> of src tree followed by a:
> ./build.sh -O /usr/current-objs -T /usr/current-tools \
>	-D /usr/current-build -U distribution
> ... fails with the following:
>	[...]
> Any hints would be most gratefully appreciated on building -current.

All you're missing is that, if you don't want to fix build problems
yourself, then you need to use a copy of -current from a date/time
when the build worked.  Very few times in the last week satisfy that
requirement.  The most recent sources that worked for me were checked
out with "cvs update -D '2003-01-24 21:54 UTC'".  (That time was chosen
to be just before the daddr_t changes were checked in.)

A reasonable way of finding appropriate times to use with the "-D"
flag of a "cvs update" or "cvs checkout" is to check the autobuild
reports for the architecture in question.  For example, for i386, check
http://releng.netbsd.org/ab/B_HEAD/m_i386/.

Another strategy is to try a build of the latest -current, and if it
fails then find the date/time of the change that seems to be implicated,
and try sources from just before that change (or batch of changes).
Right now, crunchgen seems to be causing trouble for you, so try "-D
'2003-01-29 10:25 UTC'", which is just before the changes to objcopy
and crunchgen.  It helps if you have the output from cvs2cl (from
pkgsrc/devel/cvs2cl) to search for appropriate dates and times.

--apb (Alan Barrett)