Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2003 12:07:08
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> I have posted before about this but I am now posting to both NetBSD and
> PostgreSQL since it seems to be some sort of interaction between the two.  I
> have a NetAPP filer on which I am putting a PostgreSQL database.  I run
> PostgreSQL on a NetBSD box.  I used rsync to get the database onto the filer
> with no problem whatsoever but as soon as I try to open the database the NFS
> mount hangs and I can't do any operations on that mounted drive without
> hanging.

That's darn odd.  But please be more specific: what's "open the
database"?  Start the postmaster?  Start a psql?  Issue a query?

> Does the shared memory stuff use disk at all?

No, I can't see that there would be any connection there.

Perhaps the next thing to do is to strace (ktrace, trace, truss,
whatever system-call tracing utility you got) the postmaster and
child processes.  If we could determine what system call is hanging up,
we might be a little closer to solving the mystery.

			regards, tom lane