Subject: pthread problem on MP system - is this the known issue?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2003 08:55:14
We've got an application at work that uses pthreads, and I wanted to
try it out using the stuff in -current to see if the performance had
improved at all.  (Normally, it's run under Solaris, but had been
working adequately, if not spectacularly, with pth under NetBSD)

Anyway, when run on an MP i386 system, it crashes out very early
with a bus error.  gdb yields only the following:

#0  0x48081d93 in pthread__switch_away () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x48081d93 in pthread__switch_away () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
warning: Couldn't find general-purpose registers in core file.

warning: Couldn't find general-purpose registers in core file.

Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffe0

When run on a uniprocessor system running the same vintage OS,
it seems to run fine (although I haven't done any performance
benchmarking, yet).

Anyway, I've seen that there are still issues with the SA code on
MP systems, and that they're being worked on.  Is this one of the
known issues, or should I file a PR.  If it's not known, does
anyone have any suggestions of information I should gather
to assist the troubleshooting?  Unfortunately, I can't make the
source code of our app available...

Thanks,
+j
--