Subject: Re: integrating PAM
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2003 00:49:27
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:35:59AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > As Paul and others have pointed out, BSD Auth does have some nice
> > properties.  But it does have one really major drawback, that being
> > the inability to modify the calling process's state (with the
> > exception of environment variables, as Paul pointed out it can do),
>
> Is it possible to enumerate the kinds of changes to the calling
> process's state that should be possible?
>
> If so, one could have a protocol for plug in modules that execute in a
> different process (a la BSD Auth) to communicate the necessary changes
> to a shim that lives inside the calling process (probably in a shared
> library).  The protocol and the shared library shim would have to change
> when new kinds of process state are added, but I hope that that would be
> rare.

The shared library could also dynamically load another (almost arbitrary)
library for handling specific classes of process state.

AFS tokens, at least, can be yanked from the kernel, sent through a
pipe or network connection, and then shoved back into a kernel.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.