Subject: Re: integrating PAM
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2003 15:43:31
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <20030123212854.GB833@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
> >There's something I don't understand. Why can't we just add pam and bsdauth
> >to the current nsswitch implementation ?
> >I.e.allows
> >passwd: pam
> >group: pam
> >or
> >passwd: bsdauth
> >group: bsdauth
> >in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> I think this would imply that programs have both sets of services configured,
> yes?  I think it might be nice to be able to build a bsdauth-only binary.

Why do you really care so much about not using PAM?

My expectation is that, once all the pieces are in place, we will have PAM
and a pam_bsdauth (or whatever) object in the base system. There will be
examples of how to use APM and BSD Auth, and one of them will be, "To use
just BSD Auth, use this PAM config (and leave it alone), then configure
the BSD Auth stuff thusly."

Take care,

Bill