Subject: USB quirks for CASIO cameras
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2003 11:57:53
I've been doing a bit of research into why my Casio QV-3500 camera won't
work under
NetBSD after I found out it did work with Linux. Here's what NetBSD reports:

umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: CASIO QV DigitalCamera, rev 1.00/90.09, addr 2
umass0: using ATAPI over CBI
atapibus0 at umass0 channel 0: 2 targets
probe(umass0:0:0): generic HBA error

A dig around in the Linux kernel source reveals:

/* Casio QV 2x00/3x00/4000/8000 digital still cameras are not conformant
  * to the USB storage specification in two ways:
  * - They tell us they are using transport protocol CBI. In reality they
  *   are using transport protocol CB.
  * - They don't like the INQUIRY command. So we must handle this command
  *   of the SCSI layer ourselves.
  */

umass.c gives the impression that CB is not supported (but seeing I don't
know the difference, I could be misinterpreting...).

I can't see any obvious NetBSD quirks which correspond to these issues.

--
Stephen