Subject: sysctl : 'unlimited' = invalid argument
To: , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/2003 15:33:36
This is a forward from netbsd-users since I didn't get any reply.

Hi,

I updated a machine from some 1.6 beta version to the 1.6 release and the following
command (which used to work) now returns with an error:

> vega# sysctl -w proc.209.rlimit.datasize.soft=unlimited
> proc.209.rlimit.datasize.soft: sysctl() failed with Invalid argument

Is this a bug or something was changed ?

It works if I replace unlimited with a value.
The man page says:
> For variables below `proc.<pid>.rlimit', the integer value
> may be replaced with the string `unlimited' if it matches the
> magic value used to disable a limit.

I'm not sure what
"if it matches the magic value used to disable a limit."
means.

JL