Subject: Re: System reboots. Re: Heads up: i386 MP config change
To: Artem Belevich <art@riverstonenet.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2003 21:49:00
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:41:38PM -0800, Artem Belevich wrote:
> MPACPI option makes my system reboot trying to enable ioapic.  I've
> attached dmesg outputs from the working kernel and from the kernel
> with options MPACPI ACPI_MADT_DEBUG and MPVERBOSE set which fails.
>
> The system is 2 x P4 Xeon @1.6GHz (HT enabled) with E7500 chipset.
>
> --Artem

[...]

Thanks, that's a good test system (many PCI busses).

The problem is one of PCI bus numbering. The code gets that
wrong in some cases, and hence the wrong PCI routing entries
are found. This triggers another bug, whereby a line is
marked 'active high', when it should be 'active low'. The
endresult is that the kernel dies a quick death through
interrupt spammage once the ioapic is enabled.

I'm working on a fix for this.

- Frank