Subject: Re: HEADS UP: new build.sh & top level Makefile functionality ...
To: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/2002 08:58:00
On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:33:43PM +0100, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
  | On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 23:43:32 +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  |
  | >   | The only catch was that after the build as user all directories in DESTDIR
  | >   | were of mode 700. My umask=022. How can I make sure they get mode=755?
  | >   | I do the install over NFS with root=nobody, so all files must be world
  | >   | readable.
  | >
  | > Since you're running build.sh with -U (UNPRIVED), you should run the
  | > installworld with the same option, so that the build system knows to
  | > Do The Right Thing with permissions from the info stored in
  | > $DESTDIR/METALOG.
  |
  | I will check my system for the permissions. However, my question was
  | about the build phase. After the build the directories in DESTDIR
  | are 700 and thus not readable by root over NFS.

(Ahh, the problems of replying to email late in the evening and not
carefully reading all of the original post, specifically "root over
NFS with root=nobody).

The problem with the directory permissions being 700 is caused by
mtree's creates new directories with permissions of 0700, before
changing them if not running with -U.  I'm not sure why this behaviour
cannot be changed to creating with 0777 (and changed by the umask).

For now, try running
	find $DESTDIR -type d | xargs chmod go+w
as the "build" user.

Luke.