Subject: Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/2002 03:54:24
On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 05:01:13PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
  | >     *	Only support UNPRIVED && DESTDIR builds, and get people
  | > 	to use a bit of hackery parsing ${DESTDIR}/METALOG and
  | > 	pumping that through pax to copy the files to /.
  | > 	Requires no change to the build system, but I can see
  | > 	a lot of (developers) disagreeing with the build paradigm
  | > 	shift.
  |
  | There isn't quite enough info in METALOG to do this for UPDATE
  | builds if METALOG has been deleted since the previous build
  | (necessary to stop it growing too large).

To be blunt, if you're doing this, you're shooting yourself in the foot...
I haven't found METALOG to grow *that much* when using UPDATE=, and my
default build uses UPDATE=1...

  | It would also be easier if the logged filenames were relative
  | to DESTDIR rather than being absolute.

Yes, I know.  I've been considering fixing this.  It would also remove
the need for a bit of sed (et al) in distrib/sets/maketars...