Subject: Re: Removing /sys [was Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile]
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2002 00:08:41
Luke Mewburn wrote:

> [separate email, so the issues don't get confused]
>
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:36:40PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
>   | lukem@netbsd.org said:
>   | > I would argue that the need for
>   | > the /sys symlink *by default* is not necessary
>   | Is it a relict from LINKINCLUDES times, or how this option was called?
>
> The (now removed) mk.conf option was `SYS_INCLUDE=symlinks'
>
> That said, we should remove the /sys -> /usr/src/sys symlink.
> It's not required by anything.  If a developer (or user) likes
> the convenience of it, they can easily create it on their own system.

This works for me.  I don't think I've ever had a /usr/src on my main
development machines (coming up to 10 years!) and haven't noticed any
lossage from /sys pointing to nowhere valid.

> On a related note, I don't think we need entries for /usr/local/*
> in etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist; if "/usr/local" is a local hierarchy that
> NetBSD doesn't modify, I don't see the justification for "make build"
> touching it.

This also works for me.  If /usr/local is a symlink, you get shite
like:

	missing: ./usr/local/bin (not created: File exists)
	missing: ./usr/local/lib (not created: File exists)
	missing: ./usr/local/libdata (not created: File exists)
	missing: ./usr/local/libexec (not created: File exists)
	missing: ./usr/local/man (not created: File exists)

every time mtree is run.  This has sorta always annoyed me, but never
enough to do anything about it.  Removing /usr/local from NetBSD.disk
would certainly fix that :-)

NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/