Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 23:55:21
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 04:13:12PM -0500, John Franklin wrote:
> Weird.  Ok.  The BUFCACHE option represents the percentage of memory to
> allocate to BUFCACHE.  30% of 511M is 153M.  I seem to have mine set to
> 25 (.25 * 446M = 111M).  I wonder if it can't handle more than 128M of
> buffers.  Try cutting it down to 25 (127.75M) and see if you can boot.

Yep, it reported using 127 MB and worked.  But, the "nfs server
kyyhky:/home: not responding" messages got even worse during a cvs
update.  I think I'll set BUFCACHE to 10 and take the server back home.

During cvs update, both CPU's (server and client) were almost idle, but
running "df" took at least 20 seconds and everything was pretty slow.
Not nice.

> Also, what kernel version are you running?  My dmesg is in a different
> order:

I'm running 1.6-STABLE (yes, I know this is current-users, but the
discussion was here! ;)

  -jm