Subject: Re: Removing /sys [was Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile]
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 12:50:00
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

# So... just because something has been there for years, it means we can't
# change it???

"So...just because our layout has worked fine for years, it means we have
to change it???"  That's a pretty specious argument, one which obviously
has people on both sides of its fence.

That aside...

# Personally, I have to reset /sys each time I update my
# system because I have it pointing somewhere else. And I don't see the use
# of it. If some package needs sys sources I guess it can use ${BSDSRCDIR}/sys.

Being a purist for a moment, sources have historically lived in /usr/src.
/sys -> /usr/src/sys is where it belongs (if at all).  If they're
someplace else, well, you did receive a free quantity of rope with your
NetBSD system...

BEFORE you trounce me for that one, I'll state that I agree that /sys
should be made to point to The Right Place if you happen to have been
sufficiently picky/foolhardy/hard-drive-space impaired that you couldn't
find a way to make /usr/src live in /usr/src.  I will also say that
if you don't have (/usr/src) around as a concept on your system,
/sys shouldn't exist at all, since its intended target would not exist.

# I like the idea of removing /sys, but we could leave /altroot and /stand
# as they are...

I saw the arg that I would only have to (re)create /sys once, so I
can live with that, but I will also state that I am something of a
dinosaur-by-osmosis, so change needs to be considered in terms not
just of q="does the benefit outweigh the effort created by this change",
but q="$q by a sufficiently noticeable margin so as to leave no lingering
doubts that this really is a good idea".  IMO, of course.

# Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The World's Most Portable Operating System