Subject: Removing /sys [was Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile]
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 23:58:30
[separate email, so the issues don't get confused]

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:36:40PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
  | lukem@netbsd.org said:
  | > I would argue that the need for
  | > the /sys symlink *by default* is not necessary
  |
  | Is it a relict from LINKINCLUDES times, or how this option was called?

The (now removed) mk.conf option was `SYS_INCLUDE=symlinks'

That said, we should remove the /sys -> /usr/src/sys symlink.
It's not required by anything.  If a developer (or user) likes
the convenience of it, they can easily create it on their own system.

On a related note, I don't think we need entries for /usr/local/*
in etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist; if "/usr/local" is a local hierarchy that
NetBSD doesn't modify, I don't see the justification for "make build"
touching it.