Subject: Re: proposed change to src/etc/Makefile
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2002 23:52:58
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:36:40PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
  | lukem@netbsd.org said:
  | > Your first change could bite people who build to DESTDIR=/ and have
  | > different UIDs/GIDs for system users/groups.
  |
  | Uhm - so many options... So how about using the -N by default and
  | allow to switch it off in expert mode?

I've added the "-N ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/etc" to the mtree invocation,
and it cannot be disabled.  (See below).

  | > However, this will still not help you for ${INSTALL} (it will use the
  | > system permissions), or a few other places
  |
  | Ah yes, I could have thought of that...
  |
  | >    *	Add a -N flag to install(8), and change ${MTREE}, ${INSTALL}
  | >	${PAX} (et al) in the Makefiles to use -N.
  |
  | This is what I'd prefer too.
  | pax already supports it. install needs work, but shouldn't be a problem.

I've added '-N dbdir' support to install(1), and added that to
${INSTPRIV} in <bsd.own.mk>

  | chown(8) is used in share/zoneinfo - I'm not sure we should modify it,
  | to avoid incompatibilities, and because it seems it is used at that
  | one place only. I see two ways here:
  |
  | -replace the chown -R by some find|xargs install or some pax magic

I replaced the chown -R with some pax(1) magic.

I tested building a full i386 release with these changes on a
machine without a "root" user or "wheel" group, and it worked fine,
with and without UNPRIVED defined.  So I committed the changes...

"Problem solved."

Enjoy!

Luke.