Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 22:34:46
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:33:20AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Yes to the second question. You can even see the file buffer usage
> rise when you're accessing the server. I think softdeps would only
> help if you were creating a lot of directories, then deleting them,
> as for a "cvs update", but it can't hurt.

Hum I'm not sure it should. NFS has requirement about what should
be on disk when it returns ACK to the client. NFSv3 has mechanisms
to delay writes for data (write and commit NFS operation) but I don't
remember the equivalent for metadatas.
If softdeps really helps NFS servers, then it probably breaks the reliability
model of NFS.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>