Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 01:15:15
In message <Pine.NEB.4.44.0212172244420.624-100000@lothlorien.starwolf.com>, Gr
eywolf writes:
>	850MHz Athlon, 640MB RAM, NetBSD 1.6K (current as of today).

>No problems running cvs update -d -P from /usr/src, followed by
>a compile of /usr/src, all the while running X and, in fact, xmms.
>No music skips, and the build looks like a sun3 running 'make -n'.  Also
>runs as a file server, though *very* lightly loaded in that department.

>Any other explanations?  I would suspect that the 256MB RAM has a LOT
>to do with this one.

Nah; my system is also 640MB.  I haven't had as much trouble with music
skipping - the main test case for me is Mozilla.  I guess I should start
playing music and trying to reproduce this.  Mozilla is clearly a fairly
substantial contributor to my problems.

>This guy's running on a P4 2GHz with as much memory as I do.  There
>is something else wrong which cannot be explained away by load
>balance.

I believe that to be the case.

Okay, let's start comparing widgets.

sysctl.conf says:
vfs.generic.usermount=1
vm.anonmin=15
vm.execmin=10

Kernel tuning... anything magic in your kernel?  I don't think I have
any.  My kernel is built with
	options DUMMY_NOPS
which I understand should *improve* performance, but I may be correct.

Hmm.  I have DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC compiled in.  Perhaps they're more
expensive than I thought?

-s