Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 01:11:42
In message <20021218070721.GB21205@pyy.jmp.fi>, Jukka Marin writes:
>Next they'll blame it on IDE, sure, but I don't buy that, either - I've
>got only one disk per IDE port and the disks are using Ultra/100 DMA.
>The disks are fast (but RAID appears to kill performance).

>I'm also seeing the problems in interactive use on client systems, I'm
>just saying you don't need X to notice these problems.

Okay, let's turn this around:

Anyone seeing this on SCSI?  Anyone able to reproduce it on SCSI?

If we're seeing horrible performance botches on one-drive-per-port IDE
systems (and I am, and you are), but we can't find them on SCSI, we have
a culprit.

Despite all the griping about this, I think we're onto something positive
that could improve the system substantially.

-s