Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 17:41:38
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 12:23:55AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> What's the resource used by CVS and dump, but not by scp, make build, or
> number crunching?  I think it's moving heads on the disk.

Yeah, especially under contention - dump uses several processes to
try and multithread its attack on the disk arm.

Seeking is expensive, and my previous suggestions have all been
ways to minimise the amount of it that's going on, and how much
waits for it even then.

It's also entirely possible that something else is making it even
more expensive than it should be. Perhaps hardware dependent.

--
Dan.