Subject: Re: UVM/other problems for desktop users in current?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2002 00:23:55
In message <20021218153216.285b9425.ggm@apnic.net>, George Michaelson writes:
>Peter Seebach points out he has a 2.4Gz 640Mb system which is dog slow doing
>CVS. With that much memory/CPU bandwidth, there should be no problem. No?

Just 2.0Ghz.  Not 2.4.

But it's an IDE drive, see...

Note that I'm doing CVS over a "mere" 640Kbps link, so there's no chance
of saturation.  This machine can scp files back and forth from scratch space
all day without *any* measurable performance hit.  Perhaps more interestingly,
I can run make build and be pretty well off.  On the other hand, nightly dumps
get me 10 second cycle time on refreshing a Mozilla window.

What's the resource used by CVS and dump, but not by scp, make build, or
number crunching?  I think it's moving heads on the disk.

-s